Hoorah for graduate exhibition season!
NMIT graduates are showing ‘Mettle‘ at Red Gallery.
I do like this space.
There is a lot of work here … as in all previous NMIT exhibitions actually …. and that’s a great thing, though I can sometimes feel overwhelmed with so much to look at.
Participating artists are:
- Christine Amery, Bianca Browne, Antonia Field, Mehrnoosh Ganji, Jessica Gilbert
- Gemma Grace, Nao Hirata, Danielle Horseman, Joanna Hyun, Mel Jeffery,
- Michal Klimek, Rebecca Koster, Nicole Lawrence, Sisi Liu, Lisa Lubbock
- Philip Monk, Melrose Oh, Jan-Maree Oliveira, Shea Pinxt, Jane Reilly
- Pierina Sannia-Carbone, Emily Jayne Schilg, Benjamin Stiekema, Mimu Tabushi
- Marcelle Thomas, Mary Turner, Ann Welton, Callie Whelan, Ash Whitchurch, Robyn Wilson, Yokie Yatagai
It took quite a few turns around the rooms to somehow ‘get to grip’ with the works … perhaps I was a little low on comprehension power today!
Eventually I think I had a good look at all the groups. Again, as expected of NMIT, the quality of construction was mostly excellent; and I noticed more conceptual pieces and more exploration of materials than previously.
Collections I connected with and liked included:
- Jane Reilley’s smithed pieces; she has a very strong group in the first room (image in the ‘read more’ section below) and playful colourful works in the last room too (image above)
- Bianca Browne’s geometric works, exploration of an almost moderist aesthetic; her bracelet is very bold, I like it a lot (image in the ‘read more’ section below)
- Callie Whelan’s enamel collection (image in the ‘read more’ section below)
- Robyn Wilson’s earrings and shape combinations (wall panel in top image); in fact, I could see a pair on Margaret Pomeranz (and I mean that in the very best of ways!)
- Nao Hirata’s shapes and incorporation of plastics (right of second image)
‘Mettle‘ is at Red Gallery until 22nd November 2014.
2013 ‘33 Carat‘ @ Red Gallery
2012 ‘Kaleidoscope‘ @ Northcote Town Hall
2011 ‘Auteur‘ @ Northcote Town Hall
2010 ‘Forge‘ @ Northcote Town Hall
2009 ‘Mint‘ @ Northcote Town Hall
To save loading times, I’ve popped the individual photographs of the groups I liked below: