The ‘Victorian Craft Award‘ exhibition is exceptional and important. Sounds pompous yes … I know, but I challenge you to tell me of better exposition of contemporary craft.
Today the award winners were announced:
- Lynne Kosky Jewellery Award : Natalia Milosz-Piekarska
- Jewellery Encouragement Award : Sun-Woong Bang
- Excellence Award : Manon van Kouswijk
- Decal Ceramic Award : Kate Jones
This post is about the work showing at Craft. The exhibition is so comprehensive they’ve had to share is across a number of sites, including 45downstairs (post coming), Sofitel and 1 Spring St.
The 116 artists to participate are listed on the Craft website [I really wanted to link to the Victorian Craft Award website, but I just couldn’t get the darn thing to load – while it wouldn’t be fabulous if that means my computron is being silly, I kind of hope that’s the case and everyone else can see the site easily].
There are many beautiful objects here … something close to overwhelming actually.
Those I particularly responded to, from the group at Craft, include:
- Elizabeth Kennedy’s ‘Stains and Memories‘; tender and evocative embroidery and jewellery works
- John Dermer’s ‘Salt Glazed Porcelain‘; a gorgeous shape and beguiling glaze colours
- Katie Jacobs’s ‘Wolf Head‘ has an impressive presence (in first image)
- Michael Wong’s ‘Jelly Legs‘ brooch is assured
I’ll write about the work at 45downstairs next.
‘Victorian Craft Award‘ is at Craft and other venues until 15th August 2015 … quick quick, that’s only two weeks!