It’s a gorgeous group.
The above photograph doesn’t do it justice at all. The colours are wonderful, the display is beautifully balanced, and there’s a sense of delight that’s palpable.
I was especially taken with the pendant second-from-the-left … I even tried it on … I’m still thinking about taking it home. If you’re like me and regularly read Katherine’s blog, you’ll also have seen some images of these as I did; even so, when I saw them in person their scale surprised and pleased me.
I also tried on the rings, and they’re completely amazing (especially Ring #3).
Make sure you check out Katherine’s blog for much more beautiful photographs of these works, as well as the accompanying watercolours.
This is a perfectly compact and coherent collection, and offering this kind of showing space to a maker is pretty special. Most importantly because of the small-ish scale : my feeling is that it may permit a little more adventure, perhaps it would encourage a maker to take a little more risk to follow a new line of enquiry when the group is relatively intimate.
As a maker (though relapsed?!) I’d find this kind of presentation forum and scale much more approachable and achievable, as opposed to a blockbuster solo show (well at least that’s how I’d imagine it). And the fewer objects there are, the more each one can be seen in better focus and appreciated for its uniqueness.
Go along; be inspired.
Katherine Bowman’s ‘My Assemblages‘ is at Milly Sleeping until 24th May 2015.
- 29May14: Conversation with a worn object
- 28Sep12: Katherine Bowman ‘a found thing (consolation of consolations)‘ @ e.g.etal
- 28Sep11: Katherine Bowman ‘locutions (the loved one)‘ @ Craft Vic
- 23Jul11: My jewellery collection #21
- 21Mar11: Makers mark: Katherine Bowman
- 05Nov10: My jewellery collection #18
- 06Sep10: Vikki Kassioras & Katherine Bowman ‘Black‘
- 22Mar10: ‘Figment‘ @ e.g.etal
- and in so very many of my Blog Roudup posts