I need a project. An intellectual project. An absorbing project. And I need the structure of a formal education system, otherwise I get all distracted and uninspired and stuff.
So I’m considering a postgraduate degree … I like the idea of a curatorial PhD but they need more than the Bachelors I have … so perhaps start with an Honours or Masters?
I need to keep working so it has to be available for part-time study…
Not this year (bit late to get organised), maybe next year or the one after that…
And it’s fair to say I love theory and research more than making.
Being in Melbourne the options I’m considering are:
- RMIT Master of Fine Art (Research) ; 4yrs part-time
- RMIT Master of Fine Art (Coursework) ; accelerated 2yrs part-time
- I would have considered RMIT Honours but it’s only available full-time
- again, Monash Honours is full-time too
- Monash Master of Fine Art ; 4yrs part-time
- Melbourne Uni Honours, though I expect it’s full-time too
- Melbourne Uni Postgraduate Diploma ; available part-time
- the Art History option is looking most attractive
- perhaps even starting with the Postgraduate Certificate before launching into the thesis … starting slowly is usually the best approach
- I especially like these electives: Interpreting Exhibitions & History and Philosophy of Museums & Histories and Theories of Conservation
Shhh …. don’t make a sound, or it may scare away … but I may very well have a plan …. oooooh ….