Printing my blog, update

17 06 2013

A few months back I was investigating ways of printing out my blog, to make an artifact that I could hold in my hands, to be able to point to a magnificent tome on a shelf and say that I’d made that…

In the end the option I went for was simple copy-and-paste. Copying from the site (as you’d see it, not from the editing perspective) and pasting into Word.

Tedious. SO tedious. But it was the only way I had found that didn’t give away my copyright and formatted the content it in the way I wanted it, with paragraphs and photographs in the places they are in the original posts.

Exactly how tedious I (pretend to) hear you ask?

To date I’ve only copy-pasted the first year of posts: 244 posts and it took me approximately 16 hours (I like to know how long some things take me, so I can predict future work … yup, nerd). To reduce the number of pages and exclude content that didn’t make sense out-of-time, I only included the headings for the calendar and blog-round posts (ie. marking that they happened, but not including the content), and reduced the sizes of most of the photographs. Even so, one year worth of posts came to 247 pages.

I haven’t yet decided if I’ll have it professional printed and bound; or even if I’ll continue with the remainder of the posts (I’ve only done year 1 of 4-and-a-smoodge years of writing this blog).

If you’ve discovered a more efficient way of printing a blog, please do let me know!


Actions

Information




%d bloggers like this: