Second year, second semester, Enamelling, project #2: Enamelling in the round
For this project we were to enamel a piece with volume, size … taking us from being essentially two-dimensional to three-dimensional.
Due to the time and effort I’d put into the first project, I took the second project a bit more efficiently. I decided to enamel some of the extra rings I’d made from the woven cloisonné panels I’d made in my jewellery project in second semester first year.
The colour was a departure from my blue-based preferences … it isn’t too clear from the images taken at the time, but the interior of the rings is in a startling lime green. As anyone who’s enamelled before would know, any object enamelled needs counter-enamel if the substrate isn’t beefy; so I needed to counter enamel the exterior of the rings in a clear enamel (to make the contrast more obvious).
Of course a viewer wouldn’t know about the green enamel on the inside of a worn ring … I like these kinds of hidden secrets.