If flights were free, and taxis were also free, I’d absolutely be on my way to Sydney for this exhibition.
‘The Year was 2006‘ is at Studio 20/17. The concept is fabulous. Exhibition media: “2006. It was a common year that started on a Sunday. John Howard was PM and Pluto was no longer classified as a planet. It is often bandied about that art is a reflection of our society; intrigued, we set out to find what 2006 might have looked like in terms of contemporary jewellery. 100 jewellers from across the globe have been invited to present one piece of jewellery they made 6 years ago. Presented as a salon hang, this exhibition will showcase an incredibly diverse array of jewellery and will give an overall snapshot of what these jewellers were thinking, making and the materials they were using all those years ago in 2006.“
There are … wait for it …. 100 jewellers involved. One hundred. Can you imagine how extraordinary this will look in a gallery?!?
Jewellers involved are (alphabetical by first name; usually I link any jeweller I mention in my stories, but you’ll forgive me that this will take many many hours to do so in this case!!):
- Alice Potter, Alice Whish, Alida Cappelletta, Amy Renshaw, Andrew Welch
- Barbara Cotter, Bernadette Trainor, Beatriz Ruiz, Birgit Laken, Bridget Kennedy
- Claire McArdle, Coconut Lu
- Danielle Butters, Danielle Sweeney, Deborah Rudolph, Diane Beevers
- Elfrun Lach, Elfi Spiewack, Emma Fielden, Erin Timony
- Francine Haywood
- Heidemarie Herb, Helen Mok
- Ilse-Marie Erl, InSync Design
- Jacomien Labuschagne, Jandy Pannell, Jane Millard, Jane Pollard, Jane Reynolds, Jasmine Matus, Jennifer Gehbauer, Jessica McMullen, Jessica Morrison, Jessica Page, Judy McCaig, Julie Usel, Julie Kiefel, Justine Austine
- Karen Thompson, Karin Jakobsson, Karina Hunnerup, Karola Torkos, Kate Barton, Kath Inglis, Katrina Freene, Kelly McCallum, Kim Ebbeck
- Linda Blair, Linda Van Niekerk, Lisa Furno, Luke-John Matthew Arnold
- Madeleine Clark, Manuela Gandini, Mark Vaarwerk, Melanie Ihnen, Melinda Young, Melissa Cameron, Mervi Kurvinen, Michelle Kelly, Michelle Taylor, Minnette Michael, Mirca Maffi, Miriam Andraus Pappalardo
- Nadine Smith, Naomi Schwartz
- Paula Rodrigues, Phoebe Porter
- Rachel Bell, Radka Passianova, Renee Damiani, Robi Szalay, Rudee Tancharoen
- Sandy Marker, Shan Shan Mok, Sharon Fitness, Sharon Massey, Shauna Mayben, Shimara Carlow, Sian Edwards, Simon Cottrell, Sonya Scott, Stefanie Koelbel, Stephen Gallagher, Susan Frisch, Susanna Dwyer, Suzanne Esser, Szilvia Gyorgy
- Tatjana Panyoczki, Teresa Faris
- Vernon Bowden, Vicki Mason
- Ximena Natanya Briceño
- Zoe Brand
I have been thinking about how precious this exhibition is – such an amazing snap-shot of a year in time. I wonder how the gallery may be able to document this so it isn’t lost? Perhaps an online slide-show of each piece? I look forward to seeing what can be done….
‘The Year was 2006‘ is at Studio 20/17 from 19th- 30th June 2012.
The eagle-eyed among you will see my name there … I’ll write about my piece tomorrow.