Hooowee, I’d forgotten how humid Sydney can feel in Spring; but the sun was out and that always makes me happy.
As planned, I popped into Courtesy of the Artist to see the ‘National Contemporary Jewellery Award‘.
Exhibition media: “The National Contemporary Jewellery Award was started in 1992 by the Griffith Regional Art Gallery to support the development of the National Contemporary Jewellery Collection.“
COTA’s gallery room is a beautiful space.
It was a strange experience though – I think I’ve already seen the pieces (perhaps all; though if not, almost all) online, so seeing them in person wasn’t as much of a thrill as it would be without the prior exposure.
Of course I’m glad I saw them in person – and I really do think that the prevalence of online documentation of exhibitions is completely fabulous (especially for anyone not able to go due to geography or mobility etc) – though this may be something for curators to think about.
I wonder if the ease of seeing pieces online (facebook especially) is taking the edge off the need to visit exhibitions in person? Though I expect that it may also in fact be increasing traffic. Do any gallery staff have a feel for the impact of online photos? As a balance, I would suspect that a few key pieces online would be ideal, with full documentation after the show has closed (oh wait, that’s been the case here, as this is a traveling show!).
Thoughts from more experienced curators, and other exhibition visitors, are most welcome.
Participating artists are:
- Sun-Woong Bang, Alyra Bartasek, Julie Blyfield, Brendon Collins
- Emma Fielden, Karin Findeis, Felix Gill, Pennie Jagiello
- Lauren Joffe, Rebecca Hinwood, Carly Lay, Danielle Mackenzie
- Vicki Mason, Shan Shan Mok, Courtnee Nichols, Carl Noonan
- Juliette Pastorok, Felicity Peters, Jessamy Pollock,Phoebe Porter
- Jana Roman, Bridgette Shepherd, Emily Snadden, Sarah Spackman, Blanche Tilden
Highlights for me were:
- brooches by Emma Fielen
- brooches by Jessamy Pollack (whose work I admired in BUDA last year)
- colourful neckpiece (centre in image above) by Karin Findeis.
‘National Contemporary Jewellery Award 2014′ is at Courtesy of the Artist (Sydney) until 1st November 2014.