Yesterday I received a number of emails from a number of friends of mine in the jewellery community, and thought the information was important to pass on.
Call for artists
Published with permission, and originally written by, Natalia Milosz-Piekarska.
“I am reaching out to the contemporary jewellery community far and wide to take part and help raise much needed funds for the Red Cross Disaster Relief and Rescue services.
I’m hoping to generate quite a bit of interest from the public and press and ultimately raise some much needed funds with this event, but the most important ingredient is YOU!
… I only have a short time frame in which to launch and realise this project, so if you think you’re able and willing to get on board, please get back to me as soon as you can.
Also, please pass this on to any one that you think would be happy and willing to participate … as a community network, this can spread quickly and effectively.“
I have extracted and combined details from Natalia’s letters below. Should you wish any further detailed information (and I encourage you to do so) please contact Natalia by email.
“I am writing to you as I am initiating a Disaster Relief fundraiser in response to the devastating number of natural disasters that have taken place over the last couple of months …..
I have decided to organise a Contemporary Jewellery Online Auction to raise much needed funds for the Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund.
The online auction will go under the title: Lucky Charm. Make Good Fortune Happen …..
I’m reaching out to you, the artists, to band together, as a community and become a force of good nature …..
I am calling out to all makers who are willing and able, to donate 1 piece of their work for the auction. The works can be of any format, material, shape or size. It does not have to be a new piece, though feel free to make something specific for this project if you feel inspired to do so.
If you are willing and ready to take part, this is what I need you to do to make good fortune happen:
- Donate 1 piece of your work (but please hold onto it until the auction is finished, your donation also includes your very generous willingness to post the piece to the winning bidder).
- Photograph your piece and email me the image in a JPG format.
- Write a brief description of the work including title (if there is one), materials, size, and anything else you’d like to add (especially a few lines about yourself and website links). Email this to me together with your image.
- 28th March 2011: all donated works must be photographed and emailed to me – yes, sorry, I know, tight deadline, but I know you can do it!!
- auction finish date yet to be finalised, but looking at dates between 18th – 22nd April 2011
Get on board – make a difference.
And I love Natalia’s use of the phrase ‘become a force good nature’!
Update (22nd March): Flightless Boyds blog has linked to this post, along with some other craft-driven responses to the Japan disaster – thank you!! I hope this initiative really picks up some fabulous initiative…